View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Local IDPA 

Hey all,

My name is Bob Harris. I am the Match Director for the Northwest Missouri Defensive Pistol Club. We are a local IDPA club that shoots the majority of our matches in St. Joseph. We shoot the 1st and 3rd Tuesday's of each month. If you are interested and in the KC Metro area, please click the IDPA link on the SRT website. If not in KC area check the IDPA.com to find you local club.

This is a great place to practice some of the skills you learn in Bill's classes.

Thanks
Bob Harris
Match Director
(816)797-0719
http://www.nwmodpc.com/
http://www.idpa.com/

Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:38 pm

Historical trivia: Bill and Dee actually started our club and shot with us until they emigrated to the hinterlands of Kansas...

Bob brings up a good point (and not the one covered by his hat): Unless you have your own place to shoot, there aren't many venues to practice what you learn in a defensive pistol class, and what you need to be proficient in if you CCW.

Moving and shooting, engaging multiple targets and moving targets - even just working from the holster are typically not allowed at public ranges. IDPA provides an environment where you can safely practice those skills, and the pressure of performing under the timer in a competitive environment can help add a little stress to the mix - certainly not what you'd experience in the wild, but such that you quickly learn how much of a factor it can be.

Joe

Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:51 pm

I have never shot IDPA, but I am very interested. How does 1 go about getting into it?

Owner of Big Iron Engraving & Gun Repair
www.bigironengraving.com

Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:07 am
Profile WWW

The first step is to find your local club. www.idpa.com has a list of clubs around the country. Ours is in St. Joe, there are clubs in the Kansas City, Topeka, Junction City and Wichita areas that I know of - there may be more in Kansas too.

Contact the club you want to shoot with to find out what their specific requirements for new shooters are. Generally they'll want you to attend a new shooter orientation. Some do it before a match, some will have a special day set aside for it. If you're close to the St Joe area, we shoot on the first and third Tuesdays. For new shooters, we have them come a half hour early or so on their first match for orientation.

Here's a copy of the IDPA New Shooter's Orientation Packet: www.nwmodpc.com/files/welcome_to_idpa_shooting.pdf

It will give you a good idea what you'll need equipment wise and what to expect from your first match.

It's a fun and rewarding pastime - I hope you get a chance to participate soon!

Joe

Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]